In true Gold Coast style the Small Business Week has kicked off with a bang. A large crowd attended the introductory event at Star Casino.
The keynote speech was given by Mark Bouris who talked about some of the motivation and inspiration he has received as he built Wizard Home Loans and now Yellow Brick Road. His talk was focused on six points:
- Hard work – businesses are built on an effort-reward mentality with people who are engaged
- Proprietorship – everyone in a business must have the best interests of the business at heart
- Sense of Purpose – there must be a passion regarding the business’s reason for being
- Resilience – failure must be turned into success, not surrender
- Accountability – a business owner must stand up for what they believe in
- Perspective – as a business succeeds it is important to remember where it came from.
Mark’s speech was followed by a panel of four local business proprietors who collectively spoke about the development of their businesses and the issues that were important to them. Creating a brand, managing the finance, building a team and attention to detail were all highlighted as important to business success.
Gold Coast IT Forum Committee Member
Bio: Graham is an experienced IT Analyst and Consultant living on the Gold Coast. He is the author of the new book “Identity Management: A Business Perspective”.